Friday, January 24, 2014

Zoey Deutch JJ Spotlight of the Week

imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.comimagebam.com 
 EXCLUSIVE Interview! 


Just Jared: Tell us what drew you to Vampire Academy. What was so special about this movie, since there are quite a number of vampire shows and movies?
Zoey Deutch: I don’t really feel there has been a big vampire film recently, although it’s a subject and a genre that has definitely been explored and in some people’s eyes perhaps overdone. I haven’t done extensive research, but I don’t think there’s been too many vampire films as funny as this. It’s always funny when people ask me why I was attracted to it because what most people wouldn’t understand is… I don’t go out and go, “Oh I want that part,” and then all of a sudden I get it, you know? I’m constantly auditioning all the time, even while I’m working, to get a job that I like.
Most people are kind of struggling because they’re taking jobs to make money. But in this instance, it all came together in a way that I feel very fortunate. I loved the character – it’s a kind of bad-ass heroine who uses her humor as a defense mechanism, as a means of survival. And for some ungodly reason I got the part, so that’s how it all came to be. It came to fruition.
JJ: What was your favorite scene to film?
ZD: The action sequences were the scariest. I was very, very careful about making sure that I wouldn’t hurt anyone else. And we had a great stunt team behind us. I was a dancer when I was younger so that certainly helped me. My body and muscle memory were able to perform.
JJ: What did you prepare for most, action scenes or emotional scenes?
ZD: I would say that I prepared more for the emotional stuff because I couldn’t prepare for the action stuff because half of it, I would be taught the action sequences like ten minutes before, which is even more terrifying. I’m like, “How the f–k do you use nunchucks?” I really have no idea. That was definitely interesting.
JJ: Do you have a favorite prop from set?
ZD: I love, I loooooove props, but [the director] Mark [Waters] wanted it to be pretty prop-less. So I didn’t really have too many props, unfortunately.
JJ: So you didn’t steal anything from set?
ZD: I did. I stole a towel that said, “St. Vladimir” which is the school, and I’m just revealing that now. (laughs)
JJ: What’s your favorite off screen moment?
ZD: It was so long, I can’t pick one. We were all pretty… I have a weird balance of being completely aware of everything that’s going on and needing to basically be my own A.D. (assistant director), understanding exactly what’s going everywhere and at the exact same time – just being a total goof and having fun with everybody.
I know Mark Waters consciously made an effort to keep my energy very high. As you know, I’m an extremely hyper person. So I was working 16, 17 hours a day for four months including night shoots while being aware of everything, being hyper. And then I made sure that I would go out on weekends to maintain a stable and happy mind opposed to just working all the time. I was exhausted, so I can’t really think of one specific instance, but it was a great experience overall, for sure.
JJ: Can you think of one though? (laughs)
ZD: Oh! This isn’t a favorite memory, this is just a really funny memory. I had to train during lunch, because we were working such long hours. I wouldn’t have time in the morning or afterwards to weight train and stuff, which needed to be maintained throughout filming, even though there was virtually no time at all. So we would try and make time during lunch.
Instead of going in my trailer and training with my personal trainer, I did it outside on the ground, with a towel, just to f–k with everybody while they were eating lunch. (laughs) Just to torture them and be like, “Look what I’m doing!” Push-ups, sit-ups, weights. And it was raining too! That was funny. Everybody teased me for a long time after that. It was my revenge for them being able to relax and have lunch. I was like…
JJ: “I’m still working!”
ZD: Exactly!
JJ: Describe your Vampire Academy co-stars in one word. Sarah Hyland.
ZD: Well, you know, I’m going to say the worst one for Dom [Sherwood] because his description for everyone was like, “Beautiful, fun, loving,” and then mine was energetic. So you know what Dom, here’s your answer! Let’s go! Let’s do this thing. Sarah Hyland, hilarious!
JJ: Olga Kurylenko.
ZD: Perfect woman.
JJ: Cameron Monaghan.
ZD: Mercurial.
JJ: Danila Kozlovsky.
ZD: The counterpart to Olga, perfect man.
JJ: Lucy Fry.
ZD: A sense of wonderment.
JJ: Claire Foy.
ZD: Inspiring.
JJ: Ashley Charles.
ZD: Cracks me up.
JJ: Dominic Sherwood.
ZD: Party boy.
JJ: Do you have a funny story about “The Crow”? Dominic said to ask you about it.
ZD: Dominic? Who’s the crow? Oh my god, that’s not me. What is he talking about? (pauses)
Ohhhh! Okay, okay, I know what he’s talking about… I’m losing my mind. (laughs) It wasn’t a crow, it’s a raven. WRONG, DOMINIC! (laughs) We were shooting Vampire Academy in London, and we shot a couple scenes with two live ravens. If anyone knows anything about that specific bird, they are extremely intelligent creatures. One of the ravens was bored and didn’t want to do it anymore. The raven was like, “Oh this is such an easy job for me, I don’t want to hit my mark anymore. I want to do something else.” It would play games with me! It would make noises at me, and I would do it back. It would hop to one side, then hop to the other side. That’s what I was doing in between takes while I was shooting with the raven. So that’s my story. And everybody was so impressed with this raven hitting its mark. I never get any credit for hitting my mark. If it’s so goddamn smart, why can’t I get any credit?
JJ: (laughs) Three options, kill, marry, screw. Dominic Sherwood, Cameron Monaghan, Sarah Hyland.
ZD: Oh my god, you’re a very bad person! (laughs) If you did all girls, I’d be okay with that. How about we do Sarah, Lucy, and the raven.
JJ: No raven!
ZD: Marry Lucy, screw Sarah, and kill the raven.
JJ: There’s no raven!
ZD: Shhhhh!

Check out More of Zoey's interview at JustJared
 BTS
imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.comimagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com

Via Just Jared's Twitter/ Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment