Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Characters Post 1 : Danila Kozlovsky

Okay guys so for days i had this idea of introducing a little bit our cast, saying few words about then in order to get to know them better!

My First Character Post will be Danila


~Where to start about Danila?There are simply so many things to say. So I came to know about Danila on February right after they announced who will be the three leading roles in the Vampire Academy movie. I didn't know at that time who Danila was, but after the announcement I wanted to research him a little bit more. And what I found  in the months that followed, really impressed me. Most of us didnt know him, but ill do this post in order to help people who are in the VA family, and people who will enter later on, to get more familiar with our cast and their career.



Lets start with some Background Information
Danila was born in May 3rd 1985, in Moscow, Russia.
He started his acting career in 1994, which he played in a TV Show called ''Simple Truths'', playing a sixth grader, named Denis.
In 1996, (a year after I was born) Danila was accepted in Kronshtadt Naval Military School which he graduated in 2002. Then right after his graduation he began to study in the Saint Petersburg Arts Academy, choosing to do an acting/directing course of Lev Dodin.
In his fourth year of studies, he had his first role in the ''King's Lear'', with the role of Edgar. This performance has also enabled him to have his first award, (''Golden Soffit'',top rated theatre award in St. Petersburg) for Best Début.
He also received his first film award, ''White Elephant Award'', for his performance in the movie Garpastum(2006).
With his performance in Soulless he managed to win the National ''Golden Eagle Award''

Some of the movies he played are: We are from the Future(2005), Jolly Fellow(2009), Five Brides(2010), Spy(2012), Soulless(2012), Legend No.17(2013), Dubrovsky(2013) and last but not least  VA: Blood Sisters (2014).
Source

~After seeing all of these, and actually managed to saw some of his movies, I realised how much of an honour it is to have in our Cast a person so talented and respected as Danila.
~Vampire Academy is also Danila's first American movie.

Look what Richelle Mead had to say about Danila playing Dimitri:
''I was definitely thrilled with the decision. I had never heard of him when they first mentioned him as their casting choice because he’s not very well known here [in the U.S.], but he’s a huge actor over in Russia. He’s very, very good at what he does, and I was just really thrilled when I saw the range of work he did. And he’s got the look. I mean, the look is so subjective for each reader, and everyone’s got their own version, but he fits, for me, what I described in the book, and Danila’s so dedicated to the role. To me, that’s even more important than just nailing the physical appearance. He’s really into this character, he trained so hard. I’m not sure how far he’s read in the series, I know he’s read at least a few books, maybe he’s finished it by now, but you know, he’s up to speed on what happens to the character, and he’s really invested. It’s been really great, when you meet him, that just really comes off how enthusiastic and excited he is to be a part of it.''

“I am really happy that they picked a Russian actor for it. It literally adds authenticity to it.[..] He’s super famous and very renowned there for his vast array of work, and I was so surprised because it’s no one I had ever heard of or considered. The more I just watched the range of his work and also just … I don’t know. There’s just something. Maybe because he is a little older than the rest of the cast and had more acting experience, it translates well into Dimitri because that is what the character is to the rest of the characters. It’s funny. If you listen to the way the younger cast talks about him, it is like in the books. It’s like the way the characters talk about Dimitri there’s this reverence there, like, ‘Danila, he’s so good at everything. He’s so funny and he’s so calm.’ He brought that Dimitri vibe to the movie and I know he’s at least read through the third book, and that was a while ago.[..}He’s into it and that’s super important to me to have actors who really want that, who want to be that character and bring them to life[..]'' (AboutMovies Interview)

Mark Waters( Director of VAmovie) talks about Danila:  ''We came across Danila Kozlovsky who just happens to be the biggest star in Russia. I mean his last two movies were both, in each year, the biggest box office hits in Russia so he was very well-known there but had not really ever done any movie in America as of yet[..]Even during the first audition when I felt he still was having a little trouble with the language, he just had this soulfulness to him that was really engrossing and every woman I showed the audition tape to just melted, and so I knew this guy had this incredible charisma to him. As we worked harder and kind of got him more to do this verbal dexterity that I required of him I could see that he was going to get there and then once I hired him we had him working with dialect coaches and working with me..I don’t think anyone will even know that this guy doesn’t speak English from the time he was born. He obviously has a Russian accent that is very believably Russian but he definitely stepped up and when we shot the movie he was amazing. Now as I’m editing the movie I’m just thrilled with how his performance is coming together. I think he’s a very special actor and people are going to be very excited getting to know him.''

Even the VA cast talks about Danila in NYCC(interview):
“I wanna play Dimitri” – Lucy Fry 
 “I’ll second that” – Sami Gayle 
 “I don’t wanna play Dimitri, I wanna be Danila”-Zoey Deutch
 “Be in Danila’s shoes even for just like 30 seconds of our lives would be amazing”- Dominic Sherwood



~When we first found out that Danila is playing Dimitri most of us where kind of unsure,because that role was really a tough choice. Although from my part I need to say that he fits the requirements perfectly to play Belikov! Firstly he is Russian, which means it stays more true and original to the character, also Danila has more experience in acting which proves he could totally rock the role! ( which we know he did).
He really worked very hard to achieve the physical aspect of playing Dimitri ,''I had a pick-up at seven in the morning from the hotel, and we returned at seven in the evening. Every day we had 12 hours of continuous work: trainings, meetings with the Director, rehearsals, costume, make-up''
~His strong dedication to play the role is admiring! 


~Also i'll have to say that we are pretty proud of some things that Danila earned.
Danila won the GQ Man of the Year Award, in Russia for this year, 2013. That day we were all so proud, we practically spammed his twitter account. Cause hard work and dedication are always awarded.

~ He earned an award from Snob Magazine as well, as we know it was deserved.

~His film Legend No.17 made it to the New York Film week. And we heard nothing than positive feedback, as the people there, after watching the film, were pretty impressed with Danila's performance.

Via @kapsya72
~Also Legend No.17 got a lot of credits from the Russian President, Vladimir Putin, as the president was impressed and delighted by Danila's performance. Here's some of his words: 
''I am sure that once this film (Legend no. 17) is released to the general public, it will be popular,among hockey fans, sports fans, and others who are simply proud of our nation’s achievements. And Kharlamov was one of those who demonstrated our nation’s successes and its greatness [...] I am confident that today’s event, the screening of this film , will motivate our young players to represent our nation with honour at the championships" And I would like to thank the creative team for taking on this work and, judging by responses from experts and critics, doing an excellent, artistic job. Today, we will see for ourselves if it is true. Let’s all thank them!" (via @KozlovskyDenmark)


~Finally, I wont tire you all anymore! I have to say, that Danila is perfect for this role, cause he is not simply talented but  an amazing person,and as a fan I'm so proud of all his work and he deserves every single award. Always answering to his fans, he appreciates all of our support, and he is such an inspiring person. I don't know him for a very long time, but for these few months that i came to know him better, and search his work I became such a huge admirer and hope that even more people will come to appreciate him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment